Tutors Wanted by Marion County Literacy Council
To Teach Adults Reading, Language Arts, Math, GED And English As Second Language
“With as little as two hours a week, you can positively impact an adult learner’s life,” says Summer Gill, Executive Director of the Marion County Literacy Council (MCLC).
“We are seeking more volunteer tutors to meet with an adult for a weekly 1 ½ hour session or two 1-hour sessions. Tutors are needed in Language Arts (reading, writing, and grammar), Math, GED preparation, and English for Speakers of Other Languages. Bilingual tutors are also a need as we encounter more Spanish speakers with lower English skills, and as we expand our GED program to our Spanish speakers.”
Adult students come to MCLC with varied goals, from improving job promotion prospects to functioning better in today’s complex environment. In the past 12 months, 125 tutors have worked with more than 400 motivated adults. Tutors meet with students at our downtown office (south of the main post office) or elsewhere based on need.
Tutor qualifications include:
- Be at least 18 years old (under 18 with special exception)
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (if under 18 must be in an advanced high school program, i.e. AICE, IB, etc.)
- Be able to read, write, and speak English effectively
- Be dependable and prompt, friendly, flexible, patient, optimistic
- Be able to relate well to a variety of different people with varied education levels
- Be understanding and sensitive to the student’s situation, needs and goals
- Be able to maintain confidentiality
- Be able to act in a professional manner at all times while tutoring
To apply to become a tutor, contact Summer Gill at (352) 690-READ (690-7323) or email@example.com .